Voice Over internet Phone (VoIP)
What is a VoIP phone?
A VoIP phone is a telephone system uses a digital format to transmit audio over the Internet. This is not a standard telephone setup. A VoIP phone does not use telephone lines to make phone calls. Instead it uses the internet to connect phone calls.
Problems with 911 and VoIP's
- VoIP 911 calls may not connect to the 911 center or may ring to the administrative lines of the 911 center.
- VoIP 911 calls may ring in to the 911 center but may not relay the correct phone number and address.
- VoIP 911 calls may send 911 calls to the 911 center in the area where you previously lived. If you lived in Washington when you got the phone but moved to Texas, when you call 911 it may send the call to the 911 center in Washington.
What to do if you have VoIP service
- Have your current address ready and available when calling 911.
- Update your address with your VoIP service provider. Know what the provider’s procedures are to change your address.
- Inform anyone in your house of the limitations of your service. This should include children, guests and babysitters.